Sunday, April 10, 2011

nom nom: The 5-8 Club

Business:  The 5-8 Club
Location:  South Minneapolis
Did they earn a wink?  YES

The Occasion:  A Juicy Lucy experience.

The Food:  I ordered an original Juicy Lucy with American cheese and onion rings (The 5-8 Club makes THE BEST onion rings).

Image via Mark Libell

The Service:  I don't know what it is, but I am not a fan of strangers who address me as 'honey' or 'sweetie.'  I only really like it when my mother calls me that so when I first became a patron of The 5-8, I had to accept that their resident server liked to address all 5-8 lovers as 'honey and 'sweetie.'  Though she used friendly words and gave prompt and accurate service, in my opinion her personality actually wasn't very friendly.  No smiles, I always felt as though I was bothering her when I asked for something and overall I just didn't get a good vibe from her.  Though I am not a fan of their longtime server, I would always come back to The 5-8 because, lets face it, they make a pretty mean Juicy Lucy.  Their onion rings are pretty awesome too.

So on my most recent visit, I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by a server wearing a smile and who didn't address me as 'honey' OR 'sweetie.'  She was genuinely friendly and came across as someone who actually like her job and liked working at The 5-8.  Being a self-seat restaurant, we grabbed the first available table and our new server was prompt in her greeting and I was pleased with the service I received that day.

I am kicking myself for not remembering her name!

Image by Ann Olson


My Only Gripe:  There has been a long debate on who has the best Juicy Lucy's in town and The 5-8 did not have it this day.  The cheese from my Juicy Lucy wasn't as melted or "oozy" as you see in the image below.  It had a slightly firmer consistency, the type not conducive to what one would describe as belonging to a Juicy Lucy.  *sad face*

Still Love Em':  Sometimes we dine at a restaurant because of the food while forgiving the bad service, and sometimes it is the opposite.  I hope next time I will finally have the best of both worlds at my favorite Juicy Lucy restaurant.  My opinion is highly debated but I stand my ground.  

{ja-ja-ja-juicy}
winkMSP

No comments:

Post a Comment