Monday, January 10, 2011

in the bag: Anthropologie, Shops @ West End

Business:  Anthropologie
Location:  St. Louis Park (The Shops @ West End)

Wink Criteria:  Welcoming, friendliness, helpfulness, timeliness, courtesy (italicized indicates missing criteria)
Winks Awarded2.5 out of 5 winks

Christmas shopping.  The word/expression 'ugh' comes to my mind when I think of this daunting task.  This year though, I had a plan.  Earlier in the summer, I spotted Anthropologie's initial mugs and knew they would make perfect presents for co-workers, friends and family.

Where's your nearest Anthropologie?

 A week before Christmas however, their usually helpful nature wasn't so helpful the morning I came in with a mission to purchase my 10+ mugs.  Since Anthro didn't provide shopping baskets, I wanted to make sure I didn't break any of the mugs by setting them down on a cleared spot at the cash-wrap.  I made sure I asked permission of the sales associate and she responded in a very short manner, giving me the feeling that perhaps I shouldn't be asking such a huge favor.

Anthropologie "Mr." mug
Bought quite a few of these for the men in my life...

I finished my shopping and hopped in line behind 2 other shoppers.  There were 3 different sales associates standing behind the cash wrap, but only 1 was assisting in checking out the customers.  The other 2 associates (including the snooty associate) appeared to be "busy" with organizing or retrieving go-backs.  As the line continued to grow (9 people in line total), it was apparent that the lone sales associate who was actually checking out the customers was beginning to feel stressed.  After a few minutes, you could begin to hear the other customers in line vocalizing their frustration.  She asked for help both on her walkie and of the other sales associates who then disappeared from the cash-wrap.

Anthropologie "Mrs." mug
...and a few of these for the ladies in my life...

I felt the attitudes and the lack of help from the other 2 associates was completely unprofessional and rude, not only to the customers in line, but also to the sales associate who clearly needed their assistance.  Their disregard for those who were waiting in line almost made me want to leave the store and go to the nearby Edina Anthropologie location to receive better service.  The only bright point to this particular shopping experience was that the lone associate was was helping check us out was absolutely friendly and adorable and even apologized for having had to keep me waiting.  I told her she didn't need to apologize and that she was doing a great job.

Anthropologie 'Oversized zinc letters'
...and a little something extra for myself, in my own initial.

Despite this disappointing visit, I continue to shop at one of my favorite shops in their newest and convenient location.  Let's just hope that poor sales girl isn't a lone-ranger any longer!

{happy the holidays are over}
winkMSP

No comments:

Post a Comment