Friday, January 14, 2011

what's your opinion? ... the art of "hello"

I need your opinion ...  email me

I don't know about you, but I love a 'welcome' greeting when I walk into a store, a place of business or even somebody's house.  How weird would it feel to be invited to a strangers house and upon entrance, you weren't even greeted?  As customers, stepping into a business is like stepping into a strangers home.  Nobody wants to stick around long when they don't feel welcomed.

When two strangers meet, social norms usually dictate that the proper greeting is to include a "hello" or a "hi" within the first few seconds of meeting.  In the sales field, a simple welcome greeting can be the hook, line and sinker needed to complete a sale.

So this brings me to a question that I would like to pose to you.  How important is a welcome greeting to you when you are shopping, purchasing services or in a place of business?  Would the presence or absence of a greeting make or break your experience?  Leave a comment or shoot me an email (winkMSP@gmail.com) to discuss.  I would love to hear your opinion...

{talktome}
winkMSP

3 comments:

  1. I think it is rude not to say hello OR goodbye. It is not only a greeting, but also signifies the fact that the other person is acknowledging your presence and therefore has some semblance of respect. Shops that don't do this, I believe, do not value you, your time, and ultimately, your money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your thoughts! I agree, BOTH the hello AND goodbye need to be a part of any sale, or shopping experience. They are a sign of appreciation for the customer taking the time to visit their store, and if they customer makes a purchase it is important that you value their business by leaving them with a salutation....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hello is hugely important. I worked for years in both retail and front-of-house restaurant roles, and there's just no excuse for not welcoming someone who made the choice to visit your place of business! I think Goodbyes are important, too, in that it shows a peson's patronage isn't taken for granted. It shows you're not done with the customer just because they already handed over money - or decided not to.

    ReplyDelete