Monday, January 31, 2011

what's your opinion? ... when is it okay to leave a restaurant?

Over the weekend I met up with a dear old friend of mine back in town from Japan.  We decided to meet up at Tiger Sushi at the Mall of America for a late lunch.  We were seated at the bar and waited about 10 minutes for a server, hostess or anybody to see if we had questions or wanted to order.  My friend was craving Korean food and we were sick of waiting around, so we decided to just leave.

I have always had an internal conflict on the etiquette to leaving a restaurant in this fashion.  Was it warranted since we weren't offered any help?  I did take a sip from my water, am I morally bound to becoming a patron in the restaurant now?  What would make you leave a restaurant in a similar fashion? 

{cravingsushi}
winkMSP

2 comments:

  1. I don't want to sound too vindictive, but the whole point of getting up and leaving, besides finding someplace that will actually serve you, is to send a message to the staff that their service wasn't up to par. The more of a nuisance your departure is for them, the clearer the message that their service wasn't satisfactory. If you leave without inconveniencing them at all, the staff is unlikely to care or even notice.

    (Obviously this only applies to obviously negligent staff. Be nice to servers that are understaffed and overworked.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Adam. I didn't want to be a nuisance, but I'm pretty sure we got out point across. Tiger Sushi's MOA location is pretty small and we had to walk around the entire resto in order to leave. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete