Monday, January 17, 2011

my 2 cents: hello?

First, let me thank my readers who gave me their opinion on Friday's post.  I love the feedback and I couldn't agree more with what these lovelies had to say.  Thanks WiseHer Up! and PaperDollMN  {hearts}


And now, I ask a question:  Really?  Really.  It boggles my mind and completely infuriates me when I walk into a place of business in which I am not greeted.  My experience in the retail industry spans almost 12 years now and even at the ripe young age of 16, I knew how important the initial greeting was.  Whether I was selling a 12" Subway sandwich versus a 6" or a $100 blouse versus a $35 blouse, I was guaranteed that there wouldn't be a sale if I had not paid my patron a proper greeting.  Stay tuned for my experience at a local business in which I did not receive a greeting.....

So here are my 2 cents.  Target:  You can't enter or leave the place without a red & khaki asking if you would like any help finding something.  Actually, yes I would, where the heck is the super glue?  And Wal-Mart believes in the "hello" so much that they pay a person to stand at the front of the store to greet people as they walk in.  All employees and businesses, big or small, need to pay attention to what the successful box-stores are doing and take heed, the art of "hello" is simple and needs to be executed each and every time.

Who doesn't like a friendly door greeter?
What does a "hello" and a "goodbye" do for a business?  It shows that you value a customers patronage, acknowledges presence, conveys a feeling of respect and ultimately values their willingness to spend their money in your store.  Making a customer feel welcomed and appreciated creates a feeling of security which are all conducive in the ultimate goal of  completing a sale.  It can be a segue into learning about your customer, their likes and dislikes, lifestyle, socioeconomic demographic and etc, which can all lead to better sales tactics and techniques.  This information better informs you to properly select what your store carries or offers and can result in obtaining a loyal base of customers who shop at your store because they know you have what they want.

The moral of the story:  Didn't your mom teach you good manners?  Say hello.  Just do it.

{untilnexttime}
winkMSP

P.S.
Found:  Super Glue
Located at Target in aisle D17

No comments:

Post a Comment